Friday, November 27, 2009

it's like forgetting the words to your favorite song.

this week has been a blur. between friends, phone calls from family, being sick, watching movies, and not to mention, thanksgiving, i've just been thinking a lot about who i am, what defines me, and who i've become.

somehow, it all comes back to where i'm from & where i've been. essentially, my culture.

lately, i've just felt so lost when it comes to my culture. especially being here in utah... not that i'm ungrateful to this great American country. i owe my life, my liberty and my religion to it. but it's not who i am. it's not where i'm from.

"my name is sara... i'm from puerto rico. i like different people & i love who i am"

those infamous words written by the great david jon banks to get me into my advertising program ring constantly in my head. a catchy tune that i'm sure was stuck in the communications department's head as it has been stuck in my family's and my head. it's hard to remember where i'm from when i'm surrounded by people who are just so different. i don't like having to adapt to them. i love my culture & where i'm from.

i love my culture, but then i find myself saying that i'm the worst representation of a puertorrican. most would say that this is true. but it really doesn't make me any less of a puertorrican than the next. i'm loud. so loud... i have the most explosive laugh of anyone i know. i love to dance. i'll dance anywhere, anytime. my hips, they don't lie. i speak so fast, you'll never understand me. among other things. just because i choose not to follow every norm, i never lose who i am. i love my patria.

i love puerto rico. i miss it so much. i wish i could just sit down at a table & eat puertorrican food all day. i can feel my arteries clogging up already! i want my hair so frizzy that i can't stand it. i want it to be so hot that right after i get out of the shower, i'm already sweating. i want to hear vowels dropped, words made up & mispronunciation. i want to hear talks of politics. i may want the dirty jokes. i want the music. i want the coquis. i want it all.

just take me home :)

1 comment: